Thursday, March 5, 2015

I Am A Fish In Water

It's been eight weeks. I started going through Amber’s things. I was only able to get through one drawer. It is so overwhelming to know just eight weeks ago Amber ceased being with us.  Her last months here she became a big part of my life. She consumed a great deal of my time in the end.  I grew closer to her than ever before. I suppose that is a blessing, but what a rip off!  I had committed to staying home with her and the other kids more. I had big plans for 2015.  Then one morning it all came crashing down. None of us know what tomorrow will bring. That has now become a big reality for me. 

I try to understand how I came to this place of deep sadness that gives me a physical ache in my heart. How do I laugh one minute and cry the next? 

And if I don’t stay in this sadness, does that mean I have forgotten Amber, or even worse, am I ok without her?

The more I try to understand, the less peace I have.

During most nights and mornings I wake with my heart racing. Is this the moment in time she stopped breathing?

And how ‘bout the "what if’s”.

What if we got the tracheotomy?

What if I hadn’t pushed for so many meds to make her comfortable?

What if I had asked for a visiting nurse (if that were even an option)?

What if I hadn’t stayed in bed that extra half hour?

What if we didn't get the casts put on her legs at the same time?

What if I had slept in the same room with her that night?

What if I had moved her every two hours throughout the night instead of just during the day?

What if….

What if….

What if….

And then I stop thinking so much and trying to understand, because I will never understand.

I am ok. I will be ok. I am just trying to adjust to this new life. No one can ever replace Amber. There won’t be a better child that comes along. There won’t be something that takes my mind off her. She is always just one thought away.  I will always always always have this void that can’t be filled by anything or anyone.  But God can give me what I need to get through it.

God gives us what we need always. 

God gives us the peace that passes all understanding. I don’t know how in the world people do a loss without God.  I would be like a fish out of water.  But thankfully I am a fish in water, just struggling to breathe right now.

Missing her beautiful face and even more, her smell.


2 comments:

  1. Tami, you said this - And if I don’t stay in this sadness, does that mean I have forgotten Amber, or even worse, am I ok without her? -
    Interestingly, that came up in my grief support group last night from one of the ladies. It brought up interesting conversation, as to how we handle all of that. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much for sharing. My heart and prayers go out to you.

    ReplyDelete